JP/ BA UNSW/ PhD ANU/ Hon FHKIH/ MRTPI
Professor, Department of Urban Planning and Design, HKU
Director, Affordable Housing Research Network, HKU
Founding Director, Asia-Pacific Network of Housing Research
Assistant Director,Centre of Urban Studies and Urban Planning, HKU
Major Research Interests 研究課題
Housing and urban sustainability in high-density Chinese and Asian cities, social sustainability of gated communities, and comparative housing policies in Asia.
Major Current Research Projects 研究項目
- Social sustainability of gated communities in a high density city: the case of Hong Kong.
- Transferability of housing policies.
- Segregation of sorting? The causes and consequences of Hong Kong’s socio-spatial structure.
- Rapid urbanization and public housing policy in China: a study of their interactions and compatibility.
- Comparative housing policy of East Asian economies.
- Post-reform housing policy in China.
- Sustainable housing development.
Major Recent Publications on Housing 近期關於房屋的著作
- Chiu, R.L.H. (Ed.) (2012).Chinese Cities under Marketization: a Sustainability Perspective. Special issue, Urban Policy and Research, Vol.30 (4).
- Chiu, R.L.H. (2012). Urban sustainability and the urban forms of China’s leading mega cities: Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. Urban Policy and Research, Vol. 30 (4).
- Chiu, R.L.H. (2012). Sustainability. In S. Smith (Ed.) . International Encyclopedia of Housing and Home, Vol. 7, Elsevier Ltd, 91-96.
- Zhu, W.J. and Chiu, R.L.H. (2011). The planning and design of environmentally sustainable high-risea. In B. Yuen & A.G.O. Yeh (Eds.) High-rise Living in Asian Cities. (pp.49-64). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Chiu, R.L.H. (2010). The transferability of Hong Kong’s public housing policy, International Journal of Housing Policy, Vol. 10 (3), 301-323.
- Chiu, R.L.H. & Ronald, R. (Eds.) (2010). Changing policy landscapes in Asia Pacific. Special Issue. International Journal of Housing Policy, Vol.10 (3).
- Chiu, R.L.H. (2008) Shanghai’s rapid urbanization: how sustainable?”. Built Environment, Vol. 34 (4). 532- 546.
- Chiu, R.L.H. (Ed.) (2008). Urban Housing Policy Issues in re-surging Asia. Urban Policy and Research, Vol. 26 (3).
- Wan, P.Y.K. and Chiu, R.L.H. (2008) Transforming governance of plan making in Hong Kong. Journal of Place Management and Development, Vol. 1 (3), 256-271.
- Chiu, R.L.H. (2007). Planning, land and housing affordability in Hong Kong. Housing Studies, 22(1), 63-81.
- Chiu, R.L.H. & Ho, M.H.C. (2006). Estimation of elderly housing demand in an Asian city: Methodological issues and policy implications. Habitat International, Vol. 30 (4), 965-980.
- Chiu, R.L.H. (Ed.) (2006). Professional Housing Management Practices in Hong Kong, Hong Kong University Press: Hong Kong.
- Chiu, R.L.H. & Lee, J.K.C. (Eds.) (2001). One Country, Two Housing Systems – the Convergence and Divergence between Hong Kong and China. Third World Planning Review, Vol. 23 (1).