Master of Science in Urban Planning - Introduction
The M.Sc. in Urban Planning is a two-year full-time international postgraduate program that provides a comprehensive professional training in the theories, methods and practice of urban and regional planning. An important distinguishing feature of this program is the emphasis on the planning and management of sustainable cities and regions. It also offers an extensive coverage of contemporary urban and regional development issues with a strong focus on Hong Kong, China and the Asia-Pacific region. The Department is a Full Member of the Asian Planning Schools Association (APSA) which in turn is a member of the Global Planning Education Association Network (GPEAN).
Salient features of this program are:
- Integrating theory and application;
- Supporting action-oriented and problem-based learning;
- Learning from the world’s best practices, with special focus on Hong Kong and China;
- Nurturing integrative efforts and partnership for sustainable development;
- Providing planning solutions through solid investigation and critical analysis; and
- Cultivating interdisciplinary, visionary ad critical thinking for better place making.
Our program is the only one in Hong Kong which is recognized by professional institutions in Hong Kong as well as throughout the European Union. Graduates of the program with two years of relevant experiences are eligible for membership of the Hong Kong Institute of Planners (HKIP) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) of the United Kingdom and become a Registered Professional Planner in Hong Kong. Graduates of the programme specializing in transport planning are also eligible to become a Chartered Member (CMILT) of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) International. The program is provisionally recognized by the Planning and Development Division of the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS) so that graduates can apply for its membership after completing specific top-up modules and relevant working experience.
This programme will equip students with skills to enter various fields of the profession, such as:
- Urban planner and manager in the public and private sectors;
- Professional staff in land development and management, transport, utilities companies;
- Social and community planner in NGOs;
- Educator and researcher in urban planning and development issues; and
- Policy analyst and solution provider in sustainable urban development