The iLab team won two HKU Small Equipment Grants in this round (2019/20):
- Collaborative Industrial Robotics for Computer-integrated Smart Construction ($900,000, PI: Prof. Wilson Lu)
- Mobile Color LiDAR Scanners ($760,000, PI: Dr. Frank Xue)
The Grants aim to support the strategic needs and enhance research initiatives of the Department and the Faculty with small but key equipment.
- Wilson’s equipment includes two computer numerical control (CNC) platforms and two robotic arms (e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX8Rueg7t-A).
- Frank’s project will buy two sets of colorful 3D scanners (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2IvXb7uTUQ).
The equipment is expected to boost the lab’s research and teaching in smart construction and digital twin (indoor and outdoor). Furthermore, collaborations with our sister labs under the umbrella of HKUrbanLab will benefit more research themes at large.
If you or your friends happen to have relevant degrees or interests in the following research areas, please do not hesitate to drop Wilson (email@example.com) or Frank (firstname.lastname@example.org) an Email to ask for a job opportunity.
- Smart construction
- Construction robotics, construction automation
- Digital twin, as-built 3D modeling
- Point cloud processing